Novel Psychoactive Substances (NPS) Trends in the UK – most people buy NPS online
- UK has highest rate of last year NPS purchase of any GDS country (11.6% of UK sample)
- GDS2016 reports increase in UK last year purchase of NPS after falling rates over last 4 years
- Decline in high street NPS purchases from 46.3% in GDS2014 to 34.6% in GDS2016.
- 58% of those reporting buying NPS last year did so on-line.
- 3 times more likely end up seeking emergency medical treatment with NPS than traditional drugs
Synthetic Cannabinoids (SCs) and A&E
- Synthetic cannabinoids more likely to lead to emergency medical treatment than any other drug
- 1 in 8 of those using weekly or more often reported seeking emergency medical treatment (3.5% of all users)
- Overall risk of seeking emergency medical treatment when using SCs is 30 times greater than skunk
- Over half of those using more than 50 times in last year who tried to stop reported withdrawal symptoms